Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The dream of the hale & hearty master: Scorsese on 'Wolf'

The dream of the hale & hearty master: Scorsese on 'Wolf'

For more information and a look at a pretty great interview, visit: Scorsese Explains His Cinematic Approach for 'The Wolf of Wall Street' in P.T. Anderson Interview

I think it was a pretty fantastic listen.  Scorsese says some things which of course I don't understand and can only guess at.  He talks about designing sequences and shooting in camera movement -which I imagine has to do with using the camera to translate areas of coverage within a scene rather than the typical master, coverage, coverage, insert setup.

He talked a lot about knowing when to let go of a shot or a scene.  He understood at which point the audience would understand and when it was necessary to push the film forward.  I suppose when he had to choose how to deliver information he worked from the essence outward until it became fluff and then chose not to do the fluff.

The interview explored his necessary versatility and flexible handling with the film to play to the actor's strengths and the production constraints.  Ultimately it seems he had a lot of fun.

As a storyteller, he explains that showing the moral compass would inevitably lead to a forgetful film.  Instinctively, I go straight to the point.  I've been marathon watching AMC's 'The Walking Dead' and all I can think about is solving their problems.  Not creating them which would have been my responsibility if I were writing the thing.  You have to learn to betray your desires to explain, and make things right, to harness truly compelling, disturbing, moving conflict.  You have to make things wrong.  Scorsese just knows this now.  And I hadn't heard that lesson before.

Before all the wild nonsense I'd discussed in just the previous post regarding the pain of uncertainty, I do get a sense of the joy it must be to problem solve compelling story for 1-3 months a clip.  My heart is there already.  It's waking up and trying to bring the best of something to light.  That's a good life.

Let's get what we came for,
C.M. Sanchez III

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate